Friday, April 01, 2005

Sugar and spice and everything nice.....

...that's what Indian food is made of.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I love Indian food. The spice sections in Prague supermarkets are made up of Cumin(black only), Paprika, Peppers, Cloves, Cinnamon Sticks, Bay leaves, chilli powder and Italian spices like Rosemary,Thyme,Marjoram and Oregano (the only spices that have the same/similar names in English are Paprika, Rozmaryn, Majoranka and Tymian). Which is everything you need for a great Gulas(sorry...goulash), but for Indian cuisine, forget it.

But someone from up above, aware of my misery and uninspired taste-buds, ran an article in the "Prague Post" on the only shop in the Czech Republic that sells .... Indian Spices!!! I nearly cried.

Not building my hopes up I ventured out to 'Capati' in Praha 4 with N. I wasn't disappointed, not only was it stocked with every spice I need, it was run by two of the nicest, most helpful people I have meet in Prague(Mamta & Sumit) and their sweet little silky terrier - Mary. Mary wanted to keep N, I think!!!!We ended up staying for afternoon tea discussing Indian food, Prague tastes, Prague language and playing with Mary. Amazingly the store supplies all the Indian Restaurants in CR as well as other neighbouring countries like Austria. Thanks to Mamta's directions I was able to find "kyprici prasek do peciva" (lightening flour for cooking) or 'baking powder', forget about SR Flour it doesn't exist.

Last night I made Samosa, with a fabulously easy and delicious yoghurt dip(a recipe from Mamta). 1 cup plain yoghurt with 1-2t 'Pudina Chatni Masala'(which is their dry mix of mango, salt, chilli, coriander, cumin, ginger, apple, cloves, nutmeg, cashew and asafoetida). Yummy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home